Public Relations Account Executive
We are looking for a practiced public relations professional to join our growing team. Understanding the opportunity to work within a full-service agency, the candidate has a holistic understanding of earned media and opportunities to blend with paid and owned media activations—including organic and sponsored social media content. The ideal candidate has experience engaging with and building awareness among a wide variety of stakeholder groups, with an emphasis on business-to-business audiences and the public sector. Previous experience writing across mediums, including press releases, pitches and bylined articles and whitepapers to crafting social media posts inclusive of copy and visual assets required. Essentials to succeed include a “can-do” attitude, organization and project management skills, and an aptitude for learning—from agency process and procedure to using new, digital tools.
Duties + Responsibilities
- Execute and support day-to-day client activities, including research, implementation and evaluation of public relations initiatives and paying careful attention to budgets, resources, deadlines and client records.
- Develop plans for public relations and social media to effectively reach all audiences with intended messages working with clients, the public relations team and other agency resources.
- Bring fresh thinking for new ways earned media can break through and contribute to paid media program (if applicable).
- Engage with various stakeholder groups, with a particular emphasis on the public sector.
- Widen public relations strategies beyond traditional tactics, finding ways to engage with and build awareness among community and minority groups—on and offline.
- Maintain media distribution lists and use media tools to distribute and manage pitches.
- Research news topics and journalist interests to support pitches.
- Understands what is “newsworthy” and how to execute.
- Write, edit or proofread press releases, pitches, bylined articles, online content, etc.
- Pitch press releases and feature ideas by phone or email to national, regional and trade journalists, across print, broadcast and digital channels, to interest them in covering clients’ stories.
- Respond to phone calls and emails from journalists.
- Arrange interviews and editorial meetings with key journalists for clients’ spokespeople—in-person and over the phone—and facilitate these meetings where appropriate.
- Monitor media coverage and report results to the wider team and clients.
- Provide recommendations around how to “activate” brands in the community by planning and managing client events.
- Manage and assist with client social media accounts—with an understanding of social media best practices for business-to-business and business-to-consumer models.
- Deliver analytics reports on public relations and social media, reporting on coverage, traffic, engagement, impressions, follow figures and other key performance indicators.
- Develop executive summaries for analytics reports to help clients digest and understand success and areas of opportunity for optimization.
- Brainstorm fresh ideas for public relations campaigns.
- Develop briefing materials for projects and media engagements.
- Develop and conduct media training.
- Administrative duties including meeting coordination, agendas, recaps, project schedules and reporting.
- Demonstrate a commitment to do whatever is required to get the job done right with enthusiasm and a positive attitude.
- Demonstrate proactive work ethic and be a self-starter.
- Meet with clients—on or offsite.
- Resilient and open to redirection.
- Ability to troubleshoot and solve problems.
- Organized, efficient and on-time with internal and client deliverables.
- Participate in new business pitches, as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Agency experience preferred but not required.
- Excellent copywriting skills with a creative flair for producing engaging copy with equally strong spelling, grammar, and proof-reading skills.
- Must be able to present writing portfolio or examples and earned media coverage that reflects an understanding and ability to write for various mediums and generate news content.
- Preference for candidates with experience in the public sector.
- Familiarity with AP Style.
- Strong presentation skills from communicating ideas to your team to presenting stories to journalists, the ideal candidate will organize information in a succinct and interesting way to capture attention.
- Superior telephone manner with the confidence to pick up the phone and speak to the media maintaining a positive, friendly, and upbeat tone.
- Project management and timekeeping, managing tight deadlines and meeting demands of clients.
- Manage pressures of the team and clients, working quickly and efficiently, without compromising quality.
- Computer proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
- This position will also regularly use PR/social media research and/or planning software.
Please provide resume, portfolio of work including writing samples and references for consideration.